Are you trying to eat healthier? Do you feel it’s a struggle to fit a healthy breakfast into your busy morning?
A key to healthier habits is planning ahead. Learn how to prepare an easy, healthy breakfast in advance, so you are not stressed while preparing for your day. You can make these yummy breakfast sandwiches in advance and store them in the freezer! Set aside 25 minutes of your time on the weekend, and enjoy healthy breakfasts for the entire week.
Gather Your Ingredients
Remember that you can use whatever variation of the breakfast sandwich you like. Here are the basic ingredients for a hearty, healthy breakfast:
- Wheat or light English muffins
- Pre-cooked chicken sausage patties
- Eggs or egg whites
- Salt and pepper
- Veggies (broccoli, onions, mushrooms, peppers, tomatoes, spinach)
- Cheese or vegan cheese
- Bagel thins instead of English muffins
- Seasonings of choice; a favorite is everything bagel seasoning
- Substitute turkey, bacon or ham for the chicken
How to Make the Sandwiches
- Saute whichever veggies you love in 1 tablespoon of olive oil.
- Whisk the cooked veggies into the eggs.
- Grease a baking pan or *donut pan for the eggs.
- Pour the egg mixture into a baking pan or a donut pan.
- Heat the meat; if using pre-cooked you can heat it in the microwave or in a saute pan. If using raw meat, follow the instructions on the package to cook it thoroughly.
- After the eggs are cooked, cut them into squares if using a baking dish, or remove the eggs from the donut pan.
- Toast the English muffin (optional, especially if you are going to toast the sandwich when you reheat.)
- Place the eggs on the bottom English muffin, add meat and/or cheese, then put the top of the English muffin on the sandwich.
- Optional: add any sauces like honey mustard or light mayo. Just keep in mind most sauces are loaded with fat and calories.
*An easy way to make the perfect sized eggs for breakfast sandwiches is to bake your eggs in a donut pan. Simply spray the pan with a no-stick olive oil or avocado oil spray and pour each scrambled egg into a spot. If you prefer liquid egg whites, you can use those instead. The eggs should take about 10 minutes to bake at 350 degrees, but you will need to watch them depending how big your eggs are or how much liquid egg white you use. They will turn out to be perfect circles for your breakfast sandwiches.
How to Freeze Your Breakfast Sandwiches
Follow the directions above, then:
- Wrap each sandwich individually in aluminum foil
- Place the sandwiches in a freezer bag
- Freeze the sandwiches for up to one month
How to Reheat Your Breakfast Sandwich
- Remove the sandwich from the foil.
- Defrost the sandwich in the fridge the night before, or the morning of, remove the foil and heat it in the microwave until it is warmed through and the cheese melts (60-90 seconds.)
- Toast your sandwich (optional if you like it crispy)
- Toaster oven: put the sandwich in the toaster for a few minutes. You may want to put it upside down because the bottom may have gotten more soggy than the top
- Conventional oven: Preheat the oven to 400F. You can immediately put the sandwich in the oven right on the foil it was wrapped in. Once again, feel free to flip it upside down. Cooking times will vary; keep an eye on it.
- Air fryer: Set the temp at 375F and it should be done in a couple of minutes. Check on it every so often.
Eat Later The Same Week
If you are planning to eat the breakfast sandwiches later the same week, you can store the pre-cooked eggs in the fridge and assemble fresh breakfast sandwiches the morning of as well!
Prep time: 10 minutes Cook time: 15 minutes Total time: 25 minutes
Egg Mixture: here is a sample recipe with some healthy veggies added. You can easily add and subtract ingredients to your liking.
- 6 large eggs
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 small yellow onion, diced
- 2 cups spinach
- 1- 8 oz package of mushrooms, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- Salt to taste
- 6 whole wheat English muffins
- 6 turkey sausage patties
- 6 cheese slices (cheddar is recommended)
Whether you precook the eggs and make the sandwiches fresh each morning, or choose to freeze them, you can enjoy a healthy, delicious sandwich each morning! Enjoy!