March, 2022 – Managing Sports Concussion with Dr. Likness
In this episode, host Pete Waggoner interviews Dr. Lincoln Likness, the pioneer of Hudson Physicians’ sports concussion program. They discuss how the sports medicine team of the Hudson Physicians works with the schools, parents, and coaches to prevent and manage sports-related injuries, especially concussions. Dr. Likness also recounts his personal experiences as a physician specializing in the said field and shares how his passion serves as a driving force in his work. The episode provides an insightful overview of the complex world of sports concussion management and offers an enlightening perspective on the role of both the schools and the physicians in preventing and managing such injuries.
- Preventing and treating sports injuries entail a multidisciplinary effort that includes close collaboration between medical professionals, coaches, and parents.
- A patient’s recovery journey must be a collaborative effort with an honest, open dialogue between the patient and their care team.
In This Episode:
- [03:15] Dr. Lincoln Likness talks about how the Hudson Physicians’ sports medicine team coordinates with the local schools, coaches, and parents in developing programs that aim to prevent sports injuries and make the healing journey of the young athletes easier.
- [05:52] Host Pete Waggoner asks Dr. Likness about how the technology and practices utilized by their team have evolved over the years into a “state-of-the-art” sports concussion program that’s been helping young athletes for 11 years.
- [13:00] Dr. Likness goes into detail about how their team performs baseline testing in coordination with the schools, and how they use the data to help manage injuries and concussions.
- [29:23] Dr. Likness shares how the whole process of sports concussion treatment goes—from diagnosis to rehabilitation and post-treatment tests. He also stresses the importance of open communication between the patient, their parents, and their care team to speed up the healing process.
- [31:43] Pete Waggoner and Dr. Lincoln Likness wrap up the episode by discussing what’s new on the horizon for the Hudson Medical Center’s sports concussion program and how the developments they’ve been working on will make their services much more accessible in the near future.